One of the most common things we hear from prospective buyers is that they want somewhere that’s light and airy. Here are a few things you can do quickly and easily to attract more interest in your property, both online and at open houses…
1. Open curtains and blinds, letting in as much natural light as possible. Also opening windows will allow some fresh air to circulate, which is a good idea before open houses.
2. Turn on all lights and lamps, even during the day. They brighten rooms, and create a nice ambiance. You may even want to add a floor lamp in a dark corner, or upscale the bedside lamps in the master if needed.
3. Pack away any excess items, for example in bookcases. This can make the space feel lighter and less bulky. Same principle with wardrobes, allow some space for the rooms to breathe.
4. Replace dark, heavily-patterned rugs with light, neutral ones. Either earthy flat-weaves, or soft and shaggy depending on the room. Even natural sisal will create a less heavy feel.
5. Hang a good-sized mirror in a spot that will reflect a window and bring the outside in. Even using reflective surfaces like glass, metallic or white gloss finishes will help bounce light around the space, so incorporate some of these as well.
6. We love a fresh display of white flowers, with some nice green foliage – particularly in the kitchen, or entry (or both!). They will lighten and soften the space, and will ideally have a subtle fragrance to boot.